Thursday, April 23, 2015

Happy Birthday, Will

Today is the presumed birthday (and certainly death day) of my dear friend Will. I don't know whether to be or not to be sad that all the world's a stage, and we're merely players, that we sleep, we dream. But I rejoice that because of him, I know a bank whereon the wild thyme blows, where oxlips and the nodding violet grows, and hopefully this makes me a witty fool and not a foolish wit because I walk along this bank wisely and slow...they stumble that run fast. He taught me that.

But the oxlips and violets, like my Will, will die; in fact, all that lives must die, passing through nature into eternity. Just so are Rozenplantz and Guildenfern.

Source

To my dear Will, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy, we've missed you these past 399 years, but no legacy is so rich as your honesty and your art.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!